Stay Calm Even If the Kids Are Freaking Out.

Have you ever experienced the stress of dealing with behavior that is out-of-control?

Have you ever noticed that using time-outs and punishments can actually make the behavior even worse?

Read further to discover how you can use positive methods to keep yourself calm, while calming your children.


Staying Calm Throughout Difficult Behavior

One of the biggest challenges parents face is finding ways to remain calm and rational when their children are anything but that. From toddlers to teenagers, the emotions can run high and the tension can run rampant in families. Learning effective strategies for remaining calm when children appear out of control is valuable to all parents, because all parents go through times when their children try their patience, their stamina, and their sanity.

Human brains process emotions with the same portion of the brain that is responsible for focus, impulse control, empathy, judgment, and many other factors related to reasoning. Sometimes emotions can overrun the processes that would typically allow for calm control of a situation. When this happens, reasoning and positive decision-making can be almost impossible. Parents need to find ways to calm themselves so that they can regain control over the part of the brain that will help them make rational decisions.

Take A Time Out

Parents can improve these tense situations by employing a positive time out strategy. This strategy is not a self-imposed punishment for feeling overwhelming emotions. Instead, it is a technique that allows parents to regain positive control of the stressful situation. It also helps parents model these valuable skills for their children.

It can be very easy for parents to fall into the trap of reacting to the emotional drama of their children. Once the ball of emotion reacting to emotion starts rolling, irrationality takes over and things quickly spiral out of control. It can be challenging to regroup and come at the situation from a different perspective.

The positive time out strategy is when parent remove themselves from situations where emotions are running high. This temporary separation gives a parent time to calm their emotional side so they can be decisive and rational. This might involve telling a teenager who is trying to argue about curfew limits that, “I need to walk away for 10 minutes to calm down and think about this before speaking with you further.” This strategy separates those involved in a respectful manner. Teaching the children that their parents care enough about them, to want to positively communicate with them. Children then also learn how to use this valuable skill.



Teach Techniques That Will Last A Lifetime



Children might want to continue the conflict. Parents must be consistent and vigilant to follow through on their commitment to walk away and regain composure. Parents can even tell their children that both of them need to have some time alone to think about things. Then when everyone is feeling calmer, they can finish the discussion. Kids often benefit from time spent alone playing in their room, reading a book, listening to music, or just taking a walk. When parents use the same technique for themselves, children learn that it is not a punishment, but instead a tool for treating each other more respectfully.


CalmPositive Strategies; Build Healthier Bonds


The journey of parenting is not always easy. Learning ways to calm down and separate from a tense situation can really benefit family relationships long-term. Using a positive time out strategy can build healthier bonds between parents and children. While helping all involved, to learn how to solve differences, even in the craziest of times.


Tired of dealing with challenging behavior?

Sign up for our FREE virtual workshop! This workshop will introduce you to a NEW 3-step method of dealing with challenging behavior that will increase your chances of getting it right.

If you are only guessing or reacting to behavior, you only have a 25% chance of guessing correctly. That means that you have a 75% chance of getting it WRONG!

When this workshop is finished, you'll know exactly why your child is misbehaving and what to do about it.

Sign Up For The FREE Workshop Here

Click here to add a comment

Leave a comment: